for ISKCON News on March 12, 2021
ISKCON News has an exciting opening: the Managing Editor position in its team for a seasoned editor, manager, or budding professional looking for experience! The position is now accepting applications for a flexible start in April/May 2021.
This position is looking for a 1-year minimum commitment, at around 15 hours per week including a weekly meeting, from the right candidate. The Managing Editor will be working with a team all based virtually, under the direction of the ISKCON News Editorial Board and Communications Minister, Anuttama Das.
This is currently an unpaid position, but a monthly stipend based on the development of ISKCON News is in the plans. Please see the attached job description for an overview of the role.
Applications will be accepted until the role is filled. Please send your CV/Resume and a brief cover letter to: email@example.com
Summary of Position
The Managing Editor is charged with overseeing the smooth and professional operation of the ISKCON News (IN) website. Under the supervision of the Editorial Board and the Minister of Communications, the Managing Editor (ME) is responsible for obtaining and posting high-quality content from all over the world, and refreshing the site with new materials on a weekly basis while ensuring journalistic standards. The ME suggests ideas for stories to IN writers and sees them through to publication.
- Plan and manage all weekly operations of ISKCON News
- Onboard, coach and supervise all staff and volunteers
- Collaborate with Editorial Board regarding policies, content and topics
- Coordinate editorial schedule and team meetings
- Plan, assign and approve assignments for staff writers and editors
- Develop and post weekly content
- Schedule and oversee deadlines (for writers, photographers, designers etc.)
- Oversee proofreading procedures and edit copy when necessary
- Assist in evaluating finalized copy/video for compliance with policies, style and tone
- Resolve issues as they arise, including occasional urgent postings
- Interface with tech support
- Attend events on behalf of ISKCON News
- Analyze performance metrics across the website and social media to quantify objectives for strategy planning
- Monitor and optimize performance to meet traffic, engagement and growth targets
- Implement best practices, workflows, tools and templates to maximize the efficiency and effectiveness of the organization
- Process messages sent through the “Contact Us” and firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Coordinate as needed with editors of the Russian and the Spanish ISKCON News
- ISKCON member in good standing
- Loyalty to Srila Prabhupada, ISKCON and the GBC
- Exceptional communication, team building and people skills
- Exceptional copywriting and editing skills
- Organizational and leadership skills
- Ability to work efficiently and on deadline
- Proficiency in English
- Global vision
- Interest and awareness in current events
- Basic Aesthetic sense
- Working knowledge of GSuite, Social Media, Microsoft Office, editing software
- BSc/BA in journalism, communications, PR, marketing or relevant field of study (preferred)